Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4th - Laser Disc

October 4th

Own a Laser Disc Player


laser disc and player Pictures, Images and Photos



To be honest this will be one of the easiest to complete items on the list by far, as I could easily go on to ebay and purchase one now. In fact I already own a laser disc, a copy of The Great Mouse Detective! I had it hanging up in my apartment on the fall because I figured I should have some sort of artwork on the wall :P



So you’re probably asking two questions right now; 1) why in the world would I want to own such an outdated piece of technology and 2) Why don’t I just man up and buy a laser disc player? Well here are your answers.

The Answer to the first question goes back a long, long time ago (like the late 90’s) when I was in elementary school and I had a certain science teacher who was really really proud of his laser disc player and told us multiple times about how it was such a great piece of technology that was going to revolutionize the world. For some reason I felt compelled to believe him, and it made the laser disc just seem like such a cool idea. I mean it had to be expensive because the remote control was tethered to the player! Now you will also have to remember this was the late 90’s and about 2 years before I’d be getting on the internet regularly and another year or so before it would become this great tool of knowledge for me. The fact that the laser disc was going to be obsolete in three years wasn’t even in my mind, add in the fact that this teacher had done some work for NASA and you’ll understand why we believed him fully. So I guess the main reason I want one is…. Because I want it to be cool? Or I want it as a joke? Or maybe I want it to remind me of a simpler time? I don’t’ know… I just know I want one.

Laser Disc DVD comparison Pictures, Images and Photos

Laser Disc vs a DVD

The Second Question was why don’t I just buy one, well first off I’m really cheap and it is a well known that I hate spending money and I have a reputation to keep. This means wasting money on something so out of date and worthless seems foolish at best. Now you might be saying… how much does a freaking laser disc player cost anyway? They should be super cheap since they are just a heavy piece of junk now days. Well, yes they are a piece of junk, you can find a working one for around 20 bucks… but it’s the heavy part of the equation that keeps me from buying one at this time… We are talking 30 dollars just to ship the thing and up to this point I haven’t been able to justify spending 50 dollars on a piece of technology that I just want to sit around for the simple fact of saying I own it.

Needless to say I will own one of these before I die… I just haven’t yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment