Friday, October 1, 2010

October 1st - "Experience List"

October 1st
Have a Strange Tombstone
When brainstorming/reflecting on this topic, the thought of death is obviously something you have to at least give a few moments’ thoughts to whether you intend to or not. When thinking about death you obviously have several choices that either you or your family has to make before you are finally out of the picture. (at least here on earth, depending on religious views and the such) Funeral planning is a major step for one’s family and the first item on my “experience list” involves these decisions. When I die I would like to have a Strange/Interesting Tombstone.
There was a time, when graveyards were built to serve not only as a place to bury our dead, but also a place for families to gather/picnic almost in a park capacity. Today the idea of having a picnic in a park seems morbid and would be frowned upon by most people. But one thing I consider very interesting from this period was the more elaborate gravemarkers that sprung up in greater frequency during this era. Sure since the ancient reaches of time, leaders and the highest tier of society have made extraordinary and ornate tombs such as the Great Pyramids or the Taj Mahal. But if you ever visit a cemetery that was built in the Victorian Era, you will also find a wonderful array of cool/interesting grave markers.
Sure many will claim that building yourself a cool tombstone is a sign of vanity, but I for one find graveyards at least a little interesting as you feel yourself getting a little glimpse of the past when you visit one.  And these elaborate markers are the graves you are most drawn to, they seem to shout a story and make you think about someone who you never knew and would have never thought of ever in your life. In a small way maybe having one of these markers is an effort to make sure you are remembered, but isn’t a bad thing to try and place your stamp on the world.
Honestly I don’t know what I would want to have as my marker, not a direct representation of me though. Maybe something cool like a big hippopotamus? Also defiantly not one of those flat stones with a picture drawn on it, those are alright but not my style. I want something that stands out/above my plot.

2 comments:

  1. get the hippo...seriously, maybe people won't remember you a hundred years from now, but when people go to a graveyard, that'll attract attentio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cement lawn ornament place that went out of business... still has a hippo in their yard, so Maybe I could buy that.

    ReplyDelete