Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oct 3rd - Moonshine

October 3rd


Make Moonshine

SHINE Pictures, Images and Photos

I attempted to do this once with a couple friends when we were Sr.’s in high school… needless to say it didn’t pan out or it wouldn’t still be on my list. (Because someone had to hide the mash down by the river…) Needless to say… we were pretty naive on the subject of making it, and it could have had disastrous results, which is probably why we never revisited the project at the time. I also honestly doubt any of us would have drank it…. Well on second thought we probably would have. Anyway, we totally could have built the still between the talents of our group and with more research I’m sure I could now build a good/legit still by myself.

I should explain why I want to do this, as it is most certainly not to get drunk. I want to do it for the challenge, and to say I have/can do it. Honestly the chemistry isn’t that hard, I mean “hillbilly” moonshiners have been doing it forever. Though these are the same people who make meth, so they must have basic chemistry skills or at least more than people want to give them credit for.

I’m the kind of person who loves to do stuff like this as a personal challenge, and once I have the plan in my head it will stay there and peculate until I do it, or do something about it at least. I enjoyed Chemistry in high school, (college was a different story) and with the backstory/memories of the group I schemed with in high school, well I still want to do this as it sort of feels like an open chapter in my life that still needs to be closed. One of those original friends is out of the picture and the other is probably out when it comes to this for personal reasons, but that doesn’t mean I can’t close this by myself.

I have since made several batches of wine. The first batch was horrible but I now consider myself skilled enough to make as good of quality as you found find in your average box wine at the supermarket. If I ever got serious and bought all of the correct equipment, I am fully confident I could make some good quality stuff. Though I must say making wine for your personal use it 100% legal, whereas moonshine is still illegal**.

** I think there are probably a few loopholes, such as making “ethanol” for person fuel uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment