Friday, July 22, 2011

Thoughts - Sweet Corn

Day 22

With my parents leaving tomorrow morning for Disney World and my Grandparents leaving for Michigan as well I'm being put in charge of feeding all of the livestock this week. Not that big of a deal really, as we don't have very much livestock. Just feed/water the chickens, plus collect the eggs. Take care of our Dogs and Cats, and then for Grandpa I have to feed his mule and horse and his cat.

I was up at my Grandma and Grandpa's today having him show me what he wanted done to take care of the horse and mule while he was gone and we walked down and looked at his garden, (his garden was looking pretty good, he was proud of his tobbacco plants). and then out to the corn field to check on the patch of sweet corn. The sweet corn wasn't looking that good because the coons have been in it, which is usually the problem since they don't have a dog up their to keep them out.

Anyway the sweet corn got me thinking about how my Dad's side of the family used to go crazy for that stuff, my dad talks about how when he was little they'd have days where all that Grandma cooked was sweet corn and then tomatoes on the side.... so he and his brother would eat 18-20 ears a piece. That seems crazy but when I was little I remember us being out in the front yard shucking a ton of corn and then having meals of just sweet corn ourselves though I never got close to 18 years I used to do over 10 easy by myself.

We don't eat that much sweet corn anymore, seems like we are busy when it comes on in the summer, and I know my mom, sister and myself don't like it as much as Dad. But being out their just brought up some good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment