Monday, June 29, 2009

June 29th - Board Games

Board games are something that well all play as kids, and sometimes as adults as well. Classics include; risk, monopoly, sorry, trouble, chutes and ladders, etc and so forth the list goes on and on. There are board games for children (i.e. Candy Land) that involve only luck and no strategy and board games for adults (i.e. Axis and Allies) with complex rules that can take hours to play. While video games have taken some of the wind out of the sails of these games I have put together a list of my favorites.


Six favorite board games

1. Risk



This is sort of like a family tradition game on my mom’s side of the family. On Christmas we always break out the risk board for a game or two at my Grandma’s house. The one snag we have run into in recent years is the fact that we have more people who want to play now and the game can only hold 6.





Risk Board Game $10.00 Pictures, Images and Photos









2. Monopoly



Since we play Risk at Christmas, this game has sort of taken its place as the Thanksgiving game on my mom’s side of the family though only four of us get in on the game. Derek, Erica, Casey and I. I really like monopoly but it’s hard to get a good game together. I do remember we had an awesome NES version of the game though when I was little with some strong AI competition that would even trade and deal with what I would consider strong strategy.





Best Game EVER Pictures, Images and Photos









3. Clue

This is another game that is hard to get people to play and the fact that you must have at least three people puts a kink in getting a game together. My Dad is like the all time master of this game, or at least when I was younger it seemed like that. I haven’t played in awhile but this is a classic that often works its way into pop culture with out of nowhere references like so-and-so did it in the library with the candlestick.





Clue Detective Game inside Pictures, Images and Photos









4. Uncle Wiggly



A Childhood favorite of my Dad, Sister and mine, though I haven’t played it in forever. You had to guide Uncle Wiggly (a rabbit) from one end of the board to the other, there wasn’t any real strategy that I remember (haven’t played in probably 14+ years), just trying to make it based on rolling a dice and drawing cards of chance. Interestingly enough I saw some Uncle Wiggly story books in a flea market type store about a week ago, before then I had only heard that name associated with the board game, but maybe he was a character first? This is probably a good question for Wikipedia now that I think about it, I’ll have to look it up after I finish posting this.







Uncle Wiggly Pictures, Images and Photos







5. Chess



I’m not very good at this game, I tend to either try to think to far ahead and miss seeing the short term flaws in my plan and then end up in big trouble, or I play carelessly only banking on a plan that can be foiled easily. My dad taught me how to play this game when I was in first grade, he used to spot me multiple pieces back then, and still beat me easily. He and one of his friends have a chess night during the winter months. I haven’t played the game at all in a long time though.





chess Pictures, Images and Photos











6. Mad



This is a board game with strange but entertaining rules that my sister and I used to enjoy playing at my grandma and grandpas there for awhile. It was a holdover from my aunt and dad’s youth.





Robert brought over the Mad Magazine game - complete with French! Pictures, Images and Photos

(the pic is of the French version, best I could find)







In other board game memories, who can forget Mousetrap? I never owned it and never played the game, but I remember trying to set up the pieces multiple times at my babysitters and during elementary school indoor recesses. An effort that I always remember being futile.

I also remember a game Grape Escape that feature pieces made out of play-do that my sister got for Christmas one year, it had a cool commercial and she begged and begged to get it for Christmas and then we had to play it that night (we opened presents on Christmas Eve at my house as we visit other family on Christmas day).

One last game I want to mention is one that I can’t remember the name of, I want to say it was something like Tasmanian mountain, but your pieces had to move to the top of this mountain, but ever so often this Tasmanian devil top would be set loose from the top of the mountain and could knock your pieces off as it spun down the path, and back to the start. Now that I think of it I should have put this on the list at number six probably. I wish I remember what it was called… probably another Wikipedia question.



Mousetrap Game! Pictures, Images and Photos





grape escape Pictures, Images and Photos





grape escape Pictures, Images and Photos





Anyone else have some fond board game memories?



Anyone want to have a board game night?



No comments:

Post a Comment