Saturday, June 13, 2009

June 13th - Awards

So for some reason today I was thinking about contest and competitions, and I got to thinking about random awards that are given out. Anyway that inspired today’s list… Six seemly random awards/contest I have won. Now most of them date back to my days in 4-H, which is mainly because I haven’t been in very many competitions lately.. I think the last one I was in was at Purdue last year it was a really cool completion that tested your ability to research information on the internet quickly and accurately. They gave us like 100 questions and 45 minutes I think, it was really hard but a really cool idea.


Anyway back to the topic at hand, my goal was to come up with the 6 strangest or unusal contest or awards I had received.



Six Random Awards/Contest you have won;



6. Finalist State Social Studies Academic Team

I achieved this twice when I was in high school, as a freshman and as the team captain my Sr. year. I really enjoyed the Academic team, though it was pretty much the only team I was able to make in high school. My freshman year the topic was ancient Rome and my Sr. Year was Post WWII.

5. A BBQ contest

I won this several times in 4-H with recipes such as my Lemon Pepper Pork. I actually really like cooking so maybe this is where my enjoyment of that came from? As practicing for this competition is when I first started to cook.

4. Geography Bee Champion

This is another competition that I won twice, 1st time as a 5th grader upsetting a 6th grader for the first time… It really really upset the girl I beat, she pretty much hated me and never spoke to me again. The second time I won was in 7th grade, funny enough I beat the same girl who was an 8th grader to win the Jr. High competition. I even got to go to the state championship that year. Unfortunately they didn’t have the competition my 8th grade year which is the last year you can compete. Though at the State competition its dominated by home schooled kids who spend all their time studying geography… it’s kind of like the spelling bee actually if you have ever seen those kids and their parents.

3. Rabbit Royalty – Prince, Duke, King

I used to raise show rabbits, and the showmanship contest was based male and female and by age group with a royalty theme… well by the time I was out of 4-H I had served as champion of all three different age groups at least once. Because we all want the title of… Rabbit Prince… its umm very manly.

2. Grand Champion Ratite



That’d be Ostriches, Emu’s and the such and no I never even owned one of those animals… this was more of a me being spiteful and wanting to prove I was better that some people. I know not a good reason to enter the competition but hey it is what it is. Basically there were only four kids in the ratite project and the grand champion was based on whoever won the poster contest. (There was no animal portion really, they just brought some to the fair but never took them out to show) Anyway they always made sloppy looking posters with misspelled words and the such… I joked with them about it and finally they were like well prove you can do better… so the next year I did. It was actually the best year for Ratite posters as at least two of the other kids tried harder in an effort to prove me wrong.



1. A Rooster Crowing Contest

Yeah this is the most random one I could think of, again it is at the 4-H fair but open to everyone, not just 4-Hers… all you have to do is bring a rooster in the morning and they count the number of crows from the start of the contest until the end (about 2-3 minutes later) One year I won 1st and 3rd place with my two entries… 1st place has the whopping prize of $10!

I need to pick up a new hobby or something to compete in, because I’m normally a competitive person but haven’t really strived towards anything for a long while now that I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment