Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thankful 1

~This Blog is part of a series for November, adapted from the series Erin is currently running over on her blog. For this month in honor of Thanksgiving I will release a blog every other day about something/one/idea I am Thankful for. I've broken the criteria down into a guideline of sorts that I will follow, the month will contain 5 People - 5 Things - 5 Ideas . The order that I post things in has no particular significance or ranking behind it.~


Education
Idea - 1

As I write this I am currently sitting in a little cafeteria/lounge area of IUPUC where Erin goes to school, so it seems an appropriate place to start this blog series. I have been lucky in life that my parents helped me get a good education and that I was born with what I would consider an above average compacity to learn. My mom working as an elementry school librarian certainly helped but my Dad was always their too, reading to me when I was little and giving me Math Quizzes on rides to the sale barn. Dad even taught me how to multiply at Chucky Cheese's when I was in kindergarten as well as having a boatload of patience when helping Casey and I practice spelling.  So I've always had good a lot of support when it came to expanding my knowledge base.


Happy Holisters Vintage Book Set Pictures, Images and Photos


A series of books Dad used to read as bed time stories.

To say that I have liked school wouldn't be correct... I remember in elementary school telling my mom I didn't like school, and sadly I guess I never really liked Elementary or High School. I always did well in my classes and for the most part excelled, Going to State with the Academic team twice (the only team that ever wanted me lol) I guess it was school was never that challenging and/or I never enjoyed the social aspect.

I told my parents I didn't want to go to college... which was met with a great deal of opposition... So I went to school on the agreement that after one year I could quit if that's what I felt like... I started Purdue in the school of Biochemistry... because well I had to pick a major and I never knew what I wanted to do... that first year didn't go too great but I still didn't know what I wanted to do with my life so I decided to finish out the whole school thing (hey why pass up those Purdue football games and Basketball games?) I switched majors to History and did well in school the rest of the way.

purdue Pictures, Images and Photos
I am thankful that I got my college education, sure I haven't had the best jobs thus far... graduating just before the economy took a dive in 2008 didn't help. But I know I don't have to pursue a dead end job, people look up to me as someone who is knowledgeable and competent, and I know that I gained some skills to be successful. Currently I know that I'm still in the stepping stone phase of my life, just needing to find the next step, but without having a good education I would most likely be stuck in a dead end factory job having reached the peak of my earning potential.

I know that when I have a kid/kids I will push them towards getting a good education and I hope they are smart and succeed. I know Erin gets grumpy at me when I comment sometimes about her schooling, but its because I want the best for her and I guess that starts with getting an education when you think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Bah...you only complain when I don't want to go to school. Ha ha...at least I want to be there when I am there. :) lol. I love you

    ReplyDelete