Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November Thoughts - Phrases

So todays topic I have decided up is everyday phrases that annoy you. I thought of this today because this morning two people made the comment "It's a pretty good day for a Tuesday" to me. I'm not sure why but I just found it strange that two completely different people who didn't meet each other would say that to me this morning. The phrase is perfectly fine and doesn't annoy me at all, but it got me to thinking about some annoyingly popular everyday phrases. Thus my blog today 3 annoying popular mainstream phrases.




1. "It is what it is"


I don't know why but it seems like in the last six months I have heard this phrase uttered five or six times a day. Its a good thing that "it is what it is" I'm glad its not what it isn't, that would be weird... Basically this phrase is just a smarter sounding way to say "yeah you know".



2. "In this economy"



I'm guilty of using this one from time to time while making small talk, but over the past year this phrase is used all the time. It's in all kinds of advertisements, and in almost every news or political story broadcast in the news. Sure sometimes the saying makes sense.... but a lot of times it doesn't... "In this economy I need to make sure my kids eat healthy, so I feed them wheaties!" ok so wheaties don't keep your kid healthy in good times? or In this economy you have to save all you can so I couldn't pass up the great deals on (insert extremely pricey item here). It'll be interesting to see if this phrase continues after the economy rebounds. I mean its just assumed you know the economy is bad, so can it transition to a good economy?



3. "Just so you know..."



Always said when someone is about to complain about something, or someone is just about to point out something painfully obvious. Its a phrase people who are complainers use because they think it is more subtle than just complaining to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment