Tuesday, November 10, 2009

November Thoughts - Clouds

So did anyone know we gained a new type of cloud this year? The "Asperatus" cloud, it is a low lying cloud that looks like a "choppy sea from below". I came across this article today describing the new type of cloud formation that has been seen around the globe (one scientist has been studying it for 30 years) but is now just finally being named.




What I find interesting is that it just finally became a cloud type. I remember in elementary school we were taught there were four types of cloud, I wonder if all the science books will now be updated for this new type? Apparently this announcement was made in June to little fanfare so I'm doubting it. I'd say it would be safe to say modern day meteorology has been in practice for one hundred years, but humans have been studying the skies since the beginning of recorded history. So why did it take this long for a new cloud type?



Honestly I searched for that answer and came up empty, seems like it just takes the right person noticing and putting the time in to build a case a petition the UN meteorically society. That person would be the founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society. (Won't you all sleep better tonight knowing that we have people who appreciate the clouds for us!) It has been 58 years since out last new cloud type the cirrus intortus, so I doubt I will see another new cloud typed added in my life time... So everyone remember 2009 as the year of the cloud.





Also even though it looks nasty, they rarely lead to storms.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment