Sunday, November 15, 2009

November Thoughts - Anything Goes

• Nov 15


Today I went back home to visit my family and we went to the North Decatur High School Musical production of "Anything Goes" whose music was written by Cole Porter.



The plot is a zany (by 1930's standards) romantic comedy that takes place on a cruise ship with wealthy elite, burlesque dancers, and mobsters. there are definatly some funny parts to the plays writing but I don't consider it in my top musicals list.



The singing was High School musical style, was hard to understand them sometimes but they tried their best and North doesn't have the most advanced audio equipment. I also wasn't a big fan of the music, sorry Cole Porter you may be an Indiana legend and all but I don't dig your tunes. There wasn't a super catchy song that gets stuck in your head... I'm thinking "Oklahoma" from Oklahoma or "Luck be a Lady" from Guys and Dolls a song that you are singing on your way home.



The props have gotten much better since I was in school, when we did the play rumors we had a pretty good set, but since then they have really put a lot of work into these bigger productions. Also they had this cool antique wheelchair which made me say "Wow where did they get that?"



Finally the acting was decent, I really liked the guy who played the Englishman and the guy who played the mobster, I thought they were the strongest actors in the bunch and neither were Sr's so heres to them getting some great parts in the future.



I also saw CJ and Megan there, hadn't seen them in a long time. Overall it was a good event.

No comments:

Post a Comment