Friday, November 13, 2009

November Thoughts - classmate

• Nov 13


So I was going to write a topic on Friday the 13th but I was informed of a breaking news event that one of my high school classmates had died tonight. Troy Hartley. Honestly, I can't say I really interacted with him that much, he was in what you would call the jocks and I was firmly in the nerd/outcast group (magic the gathering anyone?) but still he wasn't rude or anything to me ever. (at least not to my face).



I guess he died in a car crash down near Lake Santee, to the best of my knowledge I think he is the first of my classmates to die, though I think three have been to prison (out of 78). Seems crazy but as Steve Runyan and I were talking about it we were having some difficulty trying to remember all of our old classmates. Its only been a little over 5 years, we both agreed that if we saw them in person we would remember but it is difficult from memory alone. I guess this just goes to show you how much we can all change and drift apart in a short amount of time. I know I only talk to two people I graduated with regularly (Steve and Bruce) and then one person in the class below me (Megan).



So things can change quickly, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone from my class died, I mean statistically we were probably doing pretty good. But it made me stop and think none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment