Friday, December 31, 2010

December Reading List 2010

December


1. The Prince - Niccolò Machiavelli (1513)

A classic political analysis on how to run a country, he covers all of his various opinions and ideas on how it should and shouldn’t be attempted. I wasn’t a big

fan of the story, however, if you like “The Art of War” by Sun Tzu I consider this a good companion reading that would bring up some good compare and contrast discussions.



2. The Jungle – Upton Sinclair (1906)

As opposed to the previous book, I really enjoyed this story. Infact I may end up writing a blog about my thoughts and opinions in more detail. It tells of the social and political journey of an immigrant from Lithuania who comes to Chicago. Though I had issues with the timeline and how the author seems to drop the story at the end to promote his political ideas, the book was defiantly worth my time.



3. Through the Looking Glass – Lewis Carroll (1871)



The sequel to Alice in Wonderland which I had read last month, this book follows Alice through a mirror into the “Looking Glass World”. It had some interesting parts; the jabberwocky, tweedle dee and dum, as well as the lion and the unicorn. However, overall it failed to live up to the original work and left me disappointed at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment