Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Apr. 16th Pres Hair

*Missing pictures that I have inculded in my orginal post on myspace, which without those it really doesn't do this blog justice. So I encourage you to click the link to myspace at the end of the post. Until I take the time to inculde the pictures on this one.


So, This blog is for Megan who is partly responsible for the inspiration after we were having a discussion one night about how if I became a hermit I would grow a a "Hermits Beard". I'm not 100% sure on how we got to talking about me becoming a hermit, but I do know for sure that growing the right beard for the job is essential if you are going to do it right. And let's face it, if you're going to be a hermit you might as well go all out.



In case you're wondering what a "hermits beard" beard is… think bushy, unkempt, and long enough to get twigs, leaves and small woodland creatures stuck in it.



Anyway long story short, the conversation so how got to me talking about the president who had the best hairdo, and then me saying I would make a blog about the best presidential hair styles… so that's what this is.



I actually had a lot of fun writing this blog, sometimes coming up with something for these creativity challenges hasn't been fun at all, but once I got started on this I really enjoyed it, so hopefully someone else finds it a worthwhile read.



I've decided to do this in a "top 10" list ending with 1, just to keep it a little suspenseful… (because I know all of you really care about my take on hairdo's)



10. Dwight D. Eisenhower – 34th Pres. 1953-1961

Picking 10th place was actually pretty hard, because I had to decide who would and wouldn't make the list here. (didn't want to rank every single place) I thought about Washington for rocking the first whig, Kennedy and Regan were both also in consideration for awhile… but I ultimately decided on Eisenhower.



Now you're probably wondering why I went with the Bald President? Well because he went bald before bald was acceptable like it is now days, and didn't even try to over compensate it with super sideburns or a come over or any other strategy, he was like Yo I'm bald, but it's ok because You like Ike! And everyone did so they voted for him.









9. James K. Polk - 11th Pres. 1845-1849

You can call me biased on this one if you want as a lot of people know Polk is my favorite President, but Polk always has this slicked back look to his hair because he let it grow long in the back while going bald in the forehead. If he hadn't been going bald he would have been the first and only president with a Mullet :P







8. Andrew Jackson – 7th Pres. 1829-1837

His official White House portrait shows his hair in this really werid brushed back way, but in most other photos (like the one below) you see this hairdo that I think summons him up pretty good, it's got this wild side to it that says, don't mess with me. He also has a full head of hair, not having to worry about going bald or wearing a whig like most of the presidents before him.















7. Ulysses S. Grant – 18th Pres. 1869-1877



Why does Grant rank so high, I think it's a matter of the right look for the right person, His beard just gives you the feeling he is a rough tough guy who could kick your ass, but yet its well kept, so still looks respectable as a politician. Sure it's not as long as Garfield's or Hayes' beards, but too me it just seems like the right style reflecting his demeanor, and I'm sure Grant would look silly without it.







6. Lincoln – 16th Pres. 1861-1865

Lincoln gets some bonus points for starting the facial hair trend, which is one reason he passed up Garfield and Grant. His decision to grow a beard was considered a wise political move as most people thought he didn't look that good without it. An 11 year old girl was the one who told him to grow it, Lincoln took the suggestion and BAM he becomes president!



Also Check out this cool site - Lincoln's Beards







5. Rutherford B. Hayes – 19th Pres. 1877-1881

Now this is a beard worthy of passing as a hermit's beard! You could just see him wandering out of the woods with a birds nest and a squirrel living in there. Add that with his awesome name and you get one cool dude. Also Mark Twain (some crazy hair himself) even stumped for him when he was running for office, so clearly the power of the beard was helping him here.











4. William H. Taft – 27th Pres. 1909-1913

What makes him stand out about all the other "Moustache Presidents" is that he put the extra effort into getting the little curls on the ends. With a moustache like that he could play a villain in an old silent film, or imagine what he would look like wearing a monocle! Curling up the ends, the extra effort that counts!







3. Chester A. Arthur – 25th Pres. 1881-1885

"Side Whiskers" is how they were described in the caption with a photo I found of him, and I fully agree with the terminology. Sweeping into the mustache its like a curtain for his face. The picture I found of him as a Vice President is even better, as you can see he toned it down as president. [If you want to know what's really crazy… I'd only put him 2nd as a vice president, Check out Breckenridge's (more famous for his efforts as a Confed General) mustache if you're interested.]







2. Martin Van Buren – 8th Pres. 1837-1841

The man, The myth, The legend… yep if I go bald on top, I'm defiantly going for this hair style, talk about bold, which is fitting for the first president born as an American. Those sideburns are way before there time, and I wonder how he got them to stick out so bushy like that.







However, this is a big upset, because I came into setting up this list with Van Buren as my clear cut number one I was for sure he would win! Until I discovered…………







1. James Buchanan – 15th Pres. 1857-1861

Ok here is the big, upset I started the list with Van Buren 1 and Buchanan as 2 but the more I thought about it and the more I looked back I realized I had to move James on up to 1….



So he pretty much sucked while in office as a president (certainly one of the worst), but he did do one thing that rocked… check out the faux hawk! Honestly I hadn't ever noticed it before, but I have looked at several different pictures now and you can defiantly tell it's there. Unfortunately, he was the only Pres. Never married so it must have not worked with the ladies at the time, but today he would certainly be making a statement I'm sure.















Comments? Objections? Anyone you think I left out?



Also having completed this, I found an interesting news article, about a museum display of hair from the former Presidents.



News Story







Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=53935558&blogId=380463010#ixzz13X642Imv

No comments:

Post a Comment