Monday, January 31, 2011

Last Day

Last Day

So today was my last day at Check into Cash… I figured I should just do a run through of different thoughts involving the experience.

1st off my co-worker called in sick again, she calls in sick more than anyone else I have ever met, once a pay period pretty much every pay period. It’s pretty annoying, actually I was filling up gas when she sent me the text messages and I was reading them and pretty grumpy about having to work my last day by myself so much that I accidently selected the premium gas and ended up paying an extra 20 cents a gallon blah.

2nd while I didn’t really like the job, it wasn’t that bad. Sure some of the clients where a pain in the butt, but the absolute worst part of the job was how much the profession vilified by my family/friends. I ended up feeling compelled to defend it for what it was. Really folks it’s not a loan shark business, it is a valid service. The people we loan money too, no one else will… If you think our interest rates are too high, why don’t you give them a loan? Because the banks sure won’t… Yes the interest rates are high, but you are paying for those who use the service and never pay us back, just like you have to pay higher rates of auto insurance because a lot of people don’t buy it. Honestly it shouldn’t really matter to me, it’s a mindset that will never change and me putting my full thoughts out there would only hurt people’s feelings. (I’m a lot more cold-hearted in political/economic theory and I am in real life) So yes, trying to stick up for the business was by far the worst aspect of the job.

3rd I’ll miss some of the customers, you actually learn a lot about the people and I knew pretty much 80% of our customers as soon as they walked in the door and could have a conversation about something going on in their life. Which is sort of weird really, like I see these people once every two weeks for a period of four months…. And well I know stuff about their kids and everyday lives. I mean I’m not friends with them, but I was still interested in what was going on in their lives, and now I’ll never know.

4th I kind of felt like I was letting down my job a little bit. I was only there for 4 months, sure my collections where never the best, but I was improving and now that I’m leaving I know the store will go downhill again. As I don’t have a lot of faith things will be taken care of when I’m gone, and stuff will begin to pile up making everything harder for the next new manager they bring in. That and the customers always complained for the first two months I was there that they hated how there was always new people working at the store, and now I have helped continue that cycle right after they got used to me.

5th That said I’m glad I’m making the jump, 1 it’s for a job in the career field I wanted. It has been really hard for me to break into anything History related so while it will be hard this is an awesome opportunity. I may not have taken this opportunity once I got the center bonusing and I was making a lot more money. I think the timing of this was just meant to be, so we will see how it all plays out.

6th I’m very glad my District Manager showed up today, I was worried she wasn’t going to come in, since she works out of Seymour and then I’d have to leave the money and everything without someone to verify funds. It’s just much safer to have everything signed over in someone else’s name and being able to turn over my keys and have my security codes taken out of the system. Just ties everything up nice and neat.

7th How crazy is it that my new job title is “Executive Director” that just sounds fancy… I’m totally going to need some business cards.

8th The Regional Manager called my store today, I’ve totally never met or talked to the guy, so it just felt kind of weird that he wished me good luck and asked about my new job. He oversees stores in 3-4 states so it isn’t weird that I never met him, just kind of strange/nice that he wanted to talk to me before I left I guess.

9th Totally glad to be done with extra driving that I have been doing these last four months. I put 10000 miles on my car… which was about as many miles as I put on it the first year I owned the car. I will probably miss having the good opportunity to listen to as many audio books as I did.

10th To be completely honest, still a little nervous on how my whole money situation will play out now that I’m going from a full time job to a part time position. Sure I’ll have a ton of extra time :D and will be able to pick up some extra money helping my Dad and substitute teaching again, but I worry about money and this is certainly a drop. So even though I have run the numbers multiple times a day ever since I first applied… I’m still a little uneasy.

11th Excited to get the whole new job figured out, totally new experience

12th It is very, very hard to get motivated to do your work when you know you are quitting very shortly. I was pretty motivated today and Saturday, but the days before that drug by very slowly. Actually it has been like that at every job I quit, well except my GECOM job because I was on a line and had to go with the flow.

Well that’s about all I have to say for now, I’m sure I’ll come up with some more thoughts later. But I think this is a good overview of my thoughts for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment