Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September Thoughts

September Thoughts


So I was going to kick off this month with one of those month long challenge things were you fill in something for each topic on a list, but really didn’t find one I liked so I’m pushing that back for some other month. Erin is supposed to make me a challenge sheet so if she does I’ll do it for October.

Right now I’m sitting in a coffee shop at IUPUC while Erin is in class, ( I rode along with her today, knowing I could just play games online while she was in class) and since I haven’t blogged in so long I figured I really needed to post an update of some sort.

Work has been very busy, the Museum just made the front page again yesterday for our upcoming Archaeology Day that is taking place this Saturday. Next Sunday we have our All-American Girls Professional Baseball panel, and the weekend after that we kick off our Life before Electricity exhibit. So things have been very busy, but that is good. Sometimes it seems like an impossible struggle to keep a small nonprofit museum going now with everyone’s money tightening up and what seems to be general apathy for local history… outside of facebook groups, which are free but don’t have any physical items/presence to them. I really like the job though, just sad I can tell it will never expand to more than the part-time position it is…. And sometimes I wonder how long they will want to pay someone to do my job if money gets any tighter.

Erin has again floated out the idea of me returning to school to get what I guess would be a more worthwhile* degree than History. I guess I’m stuck on the thought of how much money it cost to go back to school, I’d have to spend everything I saved by working to get government aid and then I’d have to pay off those loans… just seems like a step back and that I would be admitting defeat with my History degree…. Though I will concede that I’d try to steer my kid away from a History degree when they go to college… and that I’d probably make more money with an accounting degree and still enjoy it. I guess its something to put more thought it… and I probably should set up an appointment with an advisor at IUPUC or something, take in my transcript and be like here…. How far away am I? That way I could give the idea a legitimate chance… my current job is flexible enough it wouldn’t be a pain to go back to school currently. Or maybe I should just check out University of Phoenix Online?

I guess I have been thinking about all of that because everything is going so well with Erin right now. I feel comfortable around all of her family and feel they like me. We hung out with them twice last week, them being her grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, and their two kids. Also her Mom and Step-Dad want us to drive down to South Carolina and visit them (Don’t know when we will be able to fit that into our schedule though). If Erin and I want to move any further in our relationship (and we have been talking about the future a lot recently) then I’m going to have to make some more money or figure out something different. She still has 2 years of school yet so neither of us has much money nor will for awhile… but someday I’m going to have to up my salary and who knows what my job prospects will be in a couple years if they nonprofit world keeps getting hit like it is currently.

I sold a few of my old books on Half.com... I pretty much only sell books this time of year when people are heading back to school. They will sit all winter/summer/fall but move during this time. One of them apparently had the envelope get ripped open in the mail though and just the empty mailer arrived in Arizona... ugh so I had to refund that money, and lost the book to the post office.

I recenlty got the full discography minus their newest album, of one of my current favorite bands... Black Rebel Motorcycle Club... I wish they would come to Indianapolis I would totally make Erin go with me to see them.

In other news….

Purdue won their first football game… looks like it will be a long season though.

Dad is planning on starting to harvest the crops around the 15th of this month, so I’ll be helping him some soon. This doesn’t look to be that good of a year though.

Casey has been in Europe for one week visiting Pasqui… she’ll be back next Wednesday

I will try my best to do some sort of mini blog series this month… though as it is already the 7th, I will need to get on the ball!

That’s about all I have to blog about right now so hopefully things are going well for everyone.

*I guess the worthwhileness of a history degree can be disputed… one of the regulars at the museum, who is a retired university professor has talked to me about how I should look into a Master’s degree or further into History.



No comments:

Post a Comment