Sunday, October 9, 2011

Concrete reminder

So yesterday I was unloading beans into the small bin by the old hog house and was trying to remember back when Dad put that bin up. I knew it was right after he bought the 50 acres that we call "The Flatrock Farm". We got the bin for free for taking it and another bin that was over there down, the bins were on a plot of ground right next to what Dad had just bought (it was a larger piece of property that was sold into 4 sections, Dad ended up with one of those sections).

Photobucket

I don't know why I remember this but I know when we opened the bin door the first time their was a large nest of hornets that we had to deal with before we could even start taking it down. We spray painted numbers on all of the sections (so we could put it back together correctly) and then took the bin apart piece by piece loading it onto the goose neck trailer.

The bottom of that bin has a floor in it that is supported by cinder blocks, moving those is the part I remember the most, because as a 5th grader it seemed like really hard work, with endless blocks to be carried out... (it probably wasn't that bad) I do know we didn't put all of the blocks back in that floor, and that their is a pile of leftovers sitting by the yellow barn. (I could be wrong on this, and that they were all from the second bin that we never put back up.)

Anyway... the reason for posting this blog is because when we put the bin up in its current location and poured the concrete slab we left our mark in it... Casey and I have our hand prints in the cement, Dad just wrote his name, as well as grandpas initials (B.W.) and the neighbor who helped us (Danny Barnes)* as well as one special individual who wasn't supposed to leave a mark at all but did anyway... Peppy. After she put her paw print in the cement, Dad went ahead and wrote her name next to it, leaving a lasting memory of her.

Photobucket

Peppy is one of the best pets I ever had, she was an Austrlian Shepard and I will always remember her as a great dog. She passed away in Feb. of 2006 when I was at Purdue, she had been in poor health for awhile, rarely leaving the poarch. Mom said she debated on telling me the night she died or waiting until I got home to give me the news.

It was nice however thinking of her today


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



*note I didn't get pictures of Grandpa or Danny's names because they were on the opposite side of the cement slab and shaded by bin so that a picture wouldn't have come out well.

1 comment:

  1. That's really sweet. But just think you have the wonderful pepper now..she's a pretty good dog ha ha...

    ReplyDelete