Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pondering - Sugar Cream Pie

While I am normally good at healthy eating :P Pie is my one weakness, anyway today on my way home from work I was listening to talk radio and they were talking about Sugar Cream Pie (not one of my favorites but I remember making it with my one grandma on a few occasions). Anyway I found out from the radio show that Sugar Cream Pie is the state pie of Indiana. So I was wondering about why that was the case...




Sugar Cream Pie is also called Indiana Cream Pie and Finger Pie in other places of the world. It is a really simple pie to make only containing a few ingredients, creamed butter, brown sugar, maple sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and some flour. But was often made after people ran out of other materials to make fruit pies.



It is believed the Sugar Cream pie was first made by Shakers, Amish, or people of an Amish background living in Indiana in the early 1800's.



Bonus Fact:



It's sometimes called finger pie because people often stirred the filling with a finger to keep it from messing up the bottom of the crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment