Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pondering - Praline

So there is this little coffee and sandwich shop in Greensburg that I eat lunch at every once in awhile, its a nice little place. Anyway they have a bunch of coffee flavorings for their special coffee's that they make and I noticed today that one of the flavorings was "Praline"




I'm probably dumb for not knowing what Praline was, but I had to look it up today because I didn't know. Honestly I had to look it up because I kept thinking of Paraffin wax :P and imagining wax flavored coffee...



Anyway praline originated in France in the 17th century and was created by a sugar industrialist Marhal du Plessis-Praslin and are simply a nut (the first ones were almonds) coated in caramelized sugar. You know those sugar covered almonds you can buy at ball games and fairs... yep they are pralines, I always thought they were just sugar covered almonds..



A praline in the United States is a little different because chefs in Louisiana (again the French connection) started using pecans and added cream to the mix.



Bonus facts:



if you grind up praline you get a powder called... pralin



if you mix pralin with chocolate... you get something called praliné



The inventor and namesake, Marhal du Plessis-Praslin, was also an important french diplomat.

No comments:

Post a Comment